COVID-19 Guide for the General Public
My colleagues have been maintaining a living document with practical COVID-19 information: find it here. Please share with family and friends.
- Stay away from people even if you feel well (aka “social distancing”).
- If you think you contracted the virus, stay home and don’t go to the ER unless you can’t breathe, feel faint, can’t keep fluids down.
- Take acetaminophen (also known as Tylenol) for fever/aches
- Exercising by yourself outside is ok.
- Bring food/supplies to elderly family members so they can avoid people–drop off supplies without direct contact.
- When in doubt, check the CDC website for updated information.
- COVID-19 Global Case Tracker, maintained by Johns Hopkins University (link was wrong before, fixed 3/29).
- United States-only COVID-19 tracker. It’s not clear to me where this one is getting its information, but the information seems consistent with the main one above.
I’ve read through these articles and while some of them are very long reads, the information at the time they were published appeared to align with the concurrent briefings from Infectious Disease at my hospital or with my own experience.
- Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now
- Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance
- I’m A Doctor. The U.S. Response to Coronavirus Has Been Nothing Short of Criminal
Please keep in mind this information is subject to frequent changes, and is current only through the most recent update. Last updated March 29, 2020. Cover image is public domain from CDC.