life | līf |
1. the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death: the origins of life.
- living things and their activity: some sort of life existed on Mars | lower forms of life | the ice-cream vendors were the only signs of life.
Short (and long) reads extracted from my personal life.
- All Over AgainTen years ago I arrived in Loma Linda, California and attempted to meet the three other naïve souls in my MD/PhD program, only to discover every last one of them was cool enough to have homes outside of the United States. Today, the final member of our tetrad crossed the stage to receive her second […]
- Nights for DaysNight shifts generate strong opinions: are they desirable or miserable, easier or more difficult? Regardless, residency has a fair number of them, and unlike our colleagues we don’t get paid any extra. Personally I don’t mind them, although to be fair, I don’t currently have difficulty sleeping during the day or catching naps during slow […]
- The Pool of NarcissusAll too often, someone expresses a nonstandard thought (or even one that is simply incongruent with group norms), and the responses center around how well others can relate the concept to themselves. When they encounter internal resistance, they feel the need to express how the hypothetical does not agree with them. I’m sure some of […]
- How I’m Spending the Next-Next DecadeMark recently remarked that it has been about…oh, hey, a decade…since I last attempted to lead my family and friends through the masochistic labyrinth of my poor life choices. Having now reached the “Post-Graduate” heading of that infamous post, I suppose an update would be beneficial. Regrettably, despite my prior efforts, many of my loved […]